Over the duration of the coursework for media, myself and the people in my group have progressively developed new skills and techniques ...

Evaluation question 6

15:06 0 Comments


Over the duration of the coursework for media, myself and the people in my group have progressively developed new skills and techniques regarding the use of technologies in our work. Throughout the coursework we heavily relied on computers and other forms of technology as a means of transferring data (such as video clips from memory cards) but also for editing tasks. When reflecting back on my preliminary task at the very beginning of the year, I can clearly see our progression in our final outcome. Initially, we had no real knowledge of editing, having only a basic understanding of how to use a camera and tripod. In our preliminary we were incapable of addressing technical issues and clearly did not plan our film beforehand. For example, we had not charged the batteries on the camera and did not know how to use the Tripod correctly which resulted in unsteady shots and a less professional video. From thence onward we have learnt new skills regarding how to use a camera to its full extent, allowing for greater quality footage but also by adjusting thing like exposure and shutter speed to create different effects.

Editing:
I think one of the main benefits to help catalyse our understanding of technology in our work was perhaps by creating several smaller short (2 minute) films. This allowed us to observe what would make a film successful and meant that we could analyse what went wrong. Our teachers set us deadlines for these short films and allowed us different amounts of time to give some diversity in our work and prepare us for working to deadlines later on. One of our fist short films was the recreation of the 2 minute opening of the film "Submarine" by Richard Ayoade. None of use in our group had watched the filmed before seeing the opening which meant we had no idea of what the film was about nor what techniques were used to film it. We were simply set the task of mirroring the opening scene by any means possible, replicating shots and lighting but also dialogue. This really challenged our skills when working with technology. I was working in a smaller group for this particular film which meant we couldn't rely on others knowledge of the camera or ideas to produce a higher quality outcome. Alternatively, I used sites such as "youtube" to help guide my work and learn more about how the camera worked and what techniques were suitable for the shots found within the opening. At this point our knowledge was still fairly basic and we couldn't completely mirror the film to the same  level of quality. However, it was the editing side of this task that I really enjoyed. I realised that I could really manipulate the film despite its filming quality, somewhat upgrading its cinematography. At first I started with basic effects such as adjusting brightness, contrast, and applying various filters such as auto correct and stabiliser. Throughout editing I was assisted by peers on particular areas I struggled with and learnt how to scale the image correctly to the full resolution of the screen and how to export correctly. I also had some level of idea on how to construct titles and the ident at the very beginning ( I used a youtube tutorial for this) to help enhance the quality.
After this task we were set the "1 hour filming task" where we had to produce, film and edit an idea, having just an hour to complete the task. Before this we were separated into groups amongst the class which meant we could work with people we wouldn't normally work with. Some members of the team were to think of the concept for an idea, another set of people were to film it, and I was left to edit it. In this task I had no idea of the concept or the level of filming, meaning I had to use my initiative and understanding of technology to create a successful film. I also had a time limit of just 30 minutes to add different effects and audio. This was the ultimate test as to how I could rely on technology to produce a form of media but it also gave insight as to what the industry is actually like from Producing stage, Camera work and editing.
In my final opening sequence I have developed my editing skills significantly from the very beginning of my filming experience from the preliminary task and other filming studies throughout the coursework. In the film, I used additional software, besides premiere pro, to extend my editing capability. For example, I used both Photoshop and After effects to create the ident at the beginning of the clip but also for other effects. By using mostly adobe products throughout the work I could easily carry my skills across due to similar key commands and panels. By combining these different software packages (they worked coherently together by using adobe creative cloud) I could craft a much higher quality product than if I were to use just one form of software.

Throughout the editing stage I also relied on audio in areas of music and dialogue within the clip. From the initial films I used basic technologies such as mobile phone and camcorder sound recorders for audio playback in my films. However, the level of quality from these devices were fairly sub-standard and the sound appeared rather amateur. When analysing 2 minute openings in research throughout the coursework I realised that many relied heavily on the audio to assist the footage and create a more dramatic effect. This is something I feel I have achieved in my final product, using audio in the background but also with the footage which is something I avoided in earlier films due to lack of experience. In our final clip I used audio mics and professional recording studios to deliver higher grade sound which I think makes it a little more believable. By using studios and computer software I could remove any background sound and increase the clarity and volume of the audio in the clip. We also used small mics for our characters to record into whilst filming which meant we could deliver raw sound in greater detail than sound recorded on a phone. We used both diagetic sound (door slams, dialogue and footsteps) but also non diagetic sound (music). Without technology we wouldn't have been able to include these sounds as well as merging sound together for a more intense and believable end product.

To conclude I think that we have significantly developed our skills regarding technology which has been used effectively for our final outcome. All skills I have learnt from completing earlier filming tasks have meant I have had first hand experience of what makes a successful film product which can only be helped by the use of modern technologies. Without the aid of professional filming equipment such as the DSLR camera, Audio mic, tripod, rigs, and computer software our final product wouldn't have been as successful.


0 comments: