What is it? Breaking the fourth wall is when an actor acknowledges the presence of an audience either by looking down the camera (as if...

Breaking the fourth wall

08:18 0 Comments


What is it?

Breaking the fourth wall is when an actor acknowledges the presence of an audience either by looking down the camera (as if at the viewer) and/or has direct address with the audience by talking to them.

Examples:

Submarine:


House of Cards:


Ferris Bueller’s Day Off:


Applications to my own work:

Whilst I think breaking the fourth wall is an effective technique, I would not consider using it in my own work. This is because it would be incredibly difficult to craft dialogue that would fit in with the technique, and even if I didn’t use dialogue, it would be very hard to make it seem normal and not forced (as in the examples above).

0 comments: